The Future of InvoicePlane

From a personal POV, I appreciate the offer of introduction us to Pay With Bolt, and I can see the advantages of API over coded gateway access. I’m a firm believer of offering choice to give the end users what they are most comfortable with.

My personal opinion and unaffecting of the path of development would be to offer both and maybe more in the future, PayWithBolt may offer those in professional industries securities and peace of mind of a professional paid for supported system, but likewise, those whom are comfortable with open source developed gateways or developers will appreciate the flexibility and adjustability of the likes of OmniPay.

I’d personally like to see both includes and more, but I think this may be something put to a poll to register the true interest of offerings.

how about hide IP v2 from home page and in other pages so this don’t create confusion about v2 argument?

I hope your new ver is as good at the v2 i have installed the current ver to have a look and its lacking the nice look and some of the add-ons that v2 had. v2 had a way of installing plugins and the one i use is the overdue account where it will add 10% or what ever i want to there invoice for late payments.

ill be sticking with my ver in till i can see the updates and in till its as good. Good luck on the new ver hope it goes well and ill be watching and upgrading once i see the same level as v2.

1 Like

@Stewart_Gill is that a paid plugin?

Hi,
I am just finding out about this, as I didn’t come around for a while (nothing much was happening).

I am puzzled: what’s the reason to moving to Laravel and abandoning CodeIgniter ?
Why not continuing with the current version and just adding what’s missing ?

Cheers,
L@u

Not sure how come thinking to develop something from scratch instead of choosing a software that is already working, tested with many users, and 100% functional could be a good idea. Of course this is not a company, and provide as many services as possible with minimal effort is not a thing to consider. But… Would be that bad start from FI?

I’m saying this as a project manager (I’m not developer), but what you plan to do, even could look the right decision, it’s gonna take tons of effort (and users’ effort as well) that is not really necessary.

Remember what happened to Netscape and the reason…

Your points are good.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to start a version 2 from scratch versus or continue developing the current version is a toss up between the capabilities of the current framework and what alternatives offer.

Codeigniter is good, it is rooted in an MVC-centric history, while alternative frameworks like Symfony ad Laravel offer other development approaches more easily, like Domain-Driven Development.

There are many things that need addressing in IP, and some of those go back to the core design. An example of this is a more modular approach. with the ability to develop functionality independently of other modules. Sometimes the limitations of a start-from-scratch approach allows for a less painful path to re-building the design.

1 Like

@gnacho we are discussing this in our slack channel and you are welcome to join.
Crafter worded it perfectly of course and we’ll have to see when version2 develops itself what the future will bring…

On behalf of the maintainers

We’d like to apologise for our lack of time we’ve had available to continue this project, but would like to reassure everyone that we are still here, still looking to drive InvoicePlane forward and thank you for your support and time.

In the coming weeks, I’m reducing one of my clients’ reliance of myself to be deployed away from home and the office which has had me away for 27 nights this month alone, @clockwiseq is in the process of moving home, needless to say, we’ve been under massive amounts of work.

That being said, we are now both weeks away from greater freedom to once again plough some dedicated hours into InvoicePlane and continue development into releases and onto timescales which are one again attainable.

3 Likes

Welcome back. Wow! That 27 days must have been rough. Good to have you back though…

Awesome writing skills you have. What an explanation to for invoice plan

It is now almost September 2019 and there have been no new releases or any new development on IP v1 or IP v2-alpha as far as I can tell. The last changes in the program were made by @Kovah.

Can we expect any releases soon? Is this development still active?

I have respect for @Kovah who dedicated so much of his time and effort to this project since it was like raising a child for him. However, I must be honest and say that I don’t feel the maintainers have the same level of dedication that we expected they would have.

It is sad to see such an awesome project going to a total standstill.

#justsaying

1 Like

@Christo_Lochenberg you have valid concerns and this is shared by the dev community as well,

You are quite right that Kovah had a very hands on approach to this project. His absence from the project is being felt. However, it is not from neglect that there have been no progress. Kovah’s sudden departure left the community with few people that fully understood the system in it’s totality. Most new developers have dived into the deep end, and truth be told, are still finding their feet round the system.

Additionally, the version-2-on-version-2-off scenario winded us somewhat, and once the dev team understood where the version 2 was, and a decision taken to create version 2 from scratch, understandably, we did not to focus too much resources on version 1.

Version 2 is going to be a rewrite, complete with a new base framework. It is no easy feat, and rather than rush into the process, we want to approach this carefully.

For now, there are wonderful people contributing with support in the forums and Slack channels. We can keep the project alive by participating and contributing to these spaces.

1 Like

@Christo_Lochenberg if you want you can go through the development bug-tracker and mention to us in slack which items you want to be handled first.
There is going to be a 1.5.x version which addresses some of the items.
Most important is version2 and let’s talk about that in the slack channel.
It may look like no commits have been made but that doesn’t mean the project is dead. It means we’re cooking up version2 and taking care of version 1.5.x in the meantime

So, later than promised courtesy of our new investors, InvoicePlane has now got funding for InvoicePlane v2 ! This means not only v2 is fully in the works, but we can also get v1 back on track, watch this space as everything gets tidied up and a new timeline is released!

4 Likes

MyClientBase was Way better than fusionInvoice is now. Glad you made your way, away from. Sometimes change hurts a little but - These guys here at Invoiceplane are definitely on the right track. I only wish I could write PHP so I could contribute more actively, rather than just bitching about features and things that aren’t 100%. :+1: for everyone working hard on 1.5 and the new version 2.

1 Like

@Nobby_Why if you join the slack community we might have something you cab help with

Thanks, UnderDog, will do. Love to help as much as I can and to my abilities. That said, I hope my remarks aren’t perceived as nagging :wink:

1 Like

@Nobby_Why not nagging at all, just having to finalize the small print, will also include a full post as to how exactly we will be maintaining our open source ethos with this new investor

2 Likes

Been a while and that Corona stuff got me on my knees. How is everyone else doing?
Hm, maybe I forgot but I try to join the slack community, …how? Please?

Also, I have an issue working with Invoiceplane now. The ticket for that is here:
Can’t issue invoice anymore and work with drafts, etc.