Non-latin character problem in PDF

Hello,

I’ve installed v1.2.0 of IP, created a client and then created an invoice. For template I’ve set System settings -> Invoices -> Default PDF Template = default. When I download the invoice as a PDF , all non-latin characters in all sections (bill to:, description, etc) appear as small squares (like this). How can this be rectified?

Here is some additional info.

• MySQL DB Collation: utf8_general_ci
  • Checked that the file in application/views/invoice_templates/pdf/default.php contains the <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> tag
  • All of the non-latin characters appear OK in IP

I’m posting the solution I came up with.

From what I’ve seen so far (correct me if I’m wrong) IP uses mPDF to create PDF documents. mPDF uses its own fonts which are located in the folder application/helpers/mpdf/ttfonts. When I put Ubuntu fonts (or any other that supports unicode) in that folder and altered the invoice template in application/views/invoice_templates/pdf/default.php to reference that font (inside the style definition)
<style> body { color: #555; font-size: 1em; font-family: Ubuntu; }the problem was resolved :slight_smile:

See V1.2 Template Font Problems for a discussion about this with the exact solution. Will be fixed in v1.2.1