Unable to send emails

@ikb42 Yes the problem seems to be related to the translation library. I am a senior software engineer and i use codeigniter framework for various project, tracking the issue was not a big deal. However i think that the translatation library should be called directly on the autoload file to make it globally accessibly for the CI instance. We must also define the library alias. I haven’t tried it yet but i think it might fix this issue. Had the developers of invoiceplane tried any modification on the phpmailer module ?

I don’t think that modifying the PhpMailer library is a good solution, however I don’t know why this problem does not occur on any of my systems:
Mac OS, Windows with XAMPP and an Ubuntu server?!
I mean there are different Php versions, but the Ubuntu server is running exactly the same version like @Muhammad_Sheik wrote me.

No for sure this is not a good idea, i was just asking whether the developers had done any changes to PHPMailer. My php version is 5.3 running with apache 2.4 … I use dynamic vhosts as it is a pre-production server. I had tried to autoload the said helper but in vain. What i’ve learnt is that older version 1.4.3 was fine and working smoothly. I have also noticed a change in terms of structure between version 1.4.3 & the latest version. There is another thing which i would highly recommend is to avoid breaking the structure of codeigniter in future developments. In fact it would be much more easier for other people to contribute when the development was made by respecting the standard of codeigniter. It will also help to easily identify bugs and expand the software. If the developers need help , i would be glad to help.

@Kovah @ikb42 Ok problem fixed … actually it is somehow our fault. we need to rename the htaccess file to .htaccess file … at first i haven’t noticed that. Moreover , it is mandatory to fill the field body when sending an email. Failing to do so will break the execution. I suggest you add a condition there to avoid this issue in the future.

Hi

I am watching all this with big interest.
Muhammad I just did what you recommend and still not working.
Indeed, I have found another htaccess file in the root folder and one .htaccess file.but no luck…

one htaccess file has this info # Use PHP5.6 as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php56 .php

and the other one has all this

RewriteEngine On
#RewriteBase /subfolder
RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

Remove the hash in front of the following two lines if you want to force HTTPS

#RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
#RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]

combine ? still no go …

and I typed a full sentence in the body message too …

Thanks for the response.
I know the software is not quite good written, we want to rewrite InvoicePlane. Its quite time consuming to find the cause of such bugs and fixing them.

Any more news on how to fix this problem?

No not yet as the email problems seem to be caused by different bugs.

Any chance to downgrade?

If you followed the upgrade guide and made a backup, you can downgrade at any time.
Previous versions can be found on the downloads page of the website.

@mariushamilton
For me its working … i have also noticed that the emailing fails when we choose not to use any encryption … Try SSL & you will see it will work.

Hi Kovah

I trust you are the master mind behind this awesome piece of software.

I must say, that normal practice is to BETA test on every server possible without releasing software to make sure it complies with PHP Mail, Send Mail etc…

You have alot of errors in this software and some of it does not work straight out of the box. My hosted server is very flexible and 99% of software works on it but yours have flawless errors.

When i include a email template it shows whitespace, also does not send mail. Errors everywhere. Not good!

Pleae fix these issues, if you did this you would have more respect from the community and its users.

Im seriously considering moving away from this to something new but this can be resolved.

Sort it out please…you have a loyal following.

There have been 7 releases since this thread was last active! There are literally hundreds of potential system configurations that the software can run on (Thousands, if you count the numerous OS, Web Server and PHP Versions since 2016). Users and volunteers contribute to the development of this FREE product, submitting bug reports etc. as they are found. Any open source software should be regarded as BETA. It is the users choice as to whether they upgrade or stick with a release that has been working for them.

If you are having an issue with something, start a detailed post of your issue, noting details of your environment and the error you are experiencing. If anyone can help, they will. Sometimes, the responses will be basic (turn it off and back on again type advice), other times they will be more technical (suggested config changes). Everyone helps at the particular level they are comfortable with, and whether it’s a non-techie user, mid-level supporter, dev or @Kovah, The thing to bear in mind is that is is all FREE, volunteered by the community because we all want to make IP work well for everyone.

If you want something that works “out of the box” for your specific environment - pay someone to build it for you or learn how to read and wrangle the code yourself, or buy an off the shelf product. If you think you can do better - fork the project and go for it. Don’t, however, knock the team of dedicated volunteers giving up their time to develop and support this free product by making demands that they “fix the product” and to “BETA test on every server possible”. It is open source - every release should be regarded as a beta.

2 Likes

twoup

This post was redirected to Kovah, i didnt ask for your response…nor do i want one back.

You criticise me, you need to back off and look at yourself.

I am not geting into a war, all im asking is for the system to be at least balanced and works with standard PHPmail and Sendmail setups…

Also there is no Q&A on the wiki in how to insert Custom Fields on the PDF and or Emails.

Surely this is a basic requirment and configuration. This is what i mean about testing before releasing.

I dont want a response back from you as i asked all this to Kovah only.

And please butt out with things that do not concern you. This should of been a private message,

Then send things as private messages, and don’t reopen dead threads. You have made two posts, neither of which mention any of what you now bring up. If you don’t want a public response, don’t post on public forums. You didn’t ask for anything - you demanded things (none of whih you have mentioned in either of your two previous posts), instead criticising a free project that is open to anyone to contibute towards and make better and attempting (very poorly) to alienate contributors.

I have no need to look at myself. Perhaps you should hold up a mirror and re-evaluate your position. Not only have I given time and experience to help make the product better - I’ve remained polite and courteous in my requests, bearing in mind that this is a free product.

When you make demands on a public community, it concerns everyone. If you spent less time criticizing the product and more time actually reading the wiki/faq and forum, you’d find most of what you mention in this post (yet nothing in your other two posts on the public forum). If you can’t work out how to do something, the whole point of a community based project is to ask and learn. There are specific pages on the wiki regarding customising templates, and custom fields.

Frankly, you are the type of person who causes apathy in the open source community.

Also, just going to leave this here… There’s also a specific section on how to get support with errors.