[Solved] BSD Install Issue - PHP Session?

Hello, new friends at InvoicePlane!

I’m trying a bit of a unique scenario for InvoicePlane. I’ve installed it under the Turnkey LAMP appliance no problem, so I know the that software runs fine. In fairness, I’m not quite certain that this is an explicitly InvoicePlane related issue, but it seems a symbiotic relationship. I’ve learned a lot through this exercise, but I would call myself ‘literate’, not ‘savvy’, so it’s entirely possible this is a PEBKAC issue - I just can’t find it. Without further ado, here’s the situation…

I have a FreeNAS. I created a ‘jail’ in which InvoicePlane is to live. Effectively, I’m installing this on a FAMP stack. I followed this tutorial to get Apache, MySQL, and PHP running. phpMyAdmin works fine on it, so Apache is showing up to work. I then followed this tutorial to add Webmin, hoping it’d help me figure out where to upload the ZIP file contents. I did, and then I did a chmod 777 to that folder to ensure that there wouldn’t be any write issues. I then got the following error message:

A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Notice
Message: Only variable references should be returned by reference
Filename: core/Common.php
Line Number: 257
Fatal error: Call to undefined function hash_hmac() in /usr/local/www/apache24/data/system/libraries/Session.php on line 676

I then followed IceLine’s Portmaster tutorial to to get Portmaster working (I’d link, but I can’t add more than two - it’s on the same Wordpress site as the first link). I was successful, and then let it do a super upgrade of whatever it said was out of date, which yielded this output:

Upgrade of pkg-1.3.8_2 to pkg-1.3.8_3
Upgrade of db48- to db48-
Upgrade of libtool-2.4.2_3 to libtool-
Upgrade of lzo2-2.06_3 to lzo2-2.08_1
Upgrade of pkgconf-0.9.6 to pkgconf-0.9.7
Upgrade of ca_root_nss-3.16 to ca_root_nss-3.17.2
Upgrade of expat-2.1.0 to expat-2.1.0_1
Upgrade of libiconv-1.14_3 to libiconv-1.14_4
Upgrade of pcre-8.34_1 to pcre-8.35_1
Upgrade of png-1.5.18 to png-1.5.19
Upgrade of sqlite3- to sqlite3-3.8.6
Installation of databases/db5 (db5-5.3.28_2)
Upgrade of gdbm-1.11 to gdbm-1.11_2
Upgrade of apr- to apr-
Installation of devel/bison (bison-2.7.1,1)
Upgrade of binutils-2.24 to binutils-2.24_1
Installation of archivers/zip (zip-3.0_1)
Upgrade of mpc-1.0.2 to mpc-1.0.2_1
Upgrade of gcc-4.7.3_1 to gcc-4.8.3_2
Upgrade of libgpg-error-1.15 to libgpg-error-1.16
Upgrade of libxml2-2.9.1_1 to libxml2-2.9.2_1
Upgrade of php56-5.6.1 to php56-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-bz2-5.6.1 to php56-bz2-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-ctype-5.6.1 to php56-ctype-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-filter-5.6.1 to php56-filter-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-gd-5.6.1 to php56-gd-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-json-5.6.1 to php56-json-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-mbstring-5.6.1 to php56-mbstring-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-mcrypt-5.6.1_1 to php56-mcrypt-5.6.2_1
Upgrade of php56-mysqli-5.6.1 to php56-mysqli-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-openssl-5.6.1 to php56-openssl-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-session-5.6.1 to php56-session-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-xml-5.6.1 to php56-xml-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-zip-5.6.1 to php56-zip-5.6.2
Upgrade of php56-zlib-5.6.1 to php56-zlib-5.6.2
Upgrade of python27-2.7.6_4 to python27-2.7.8_5
Installation of devel/scons (scons-2.3.0_1)
Upgrade of serf-1.3.6 to serf-1.3.7_1
Upgrade of aria2-1.18.5_1 to aria2-1.18.8
Upgrade of mod_php56-5.6.1 to mod_php56-5.6.2
Upgrade of phpMyAdmin- to phpMyAdmin-
Upgrade of py27-ldap2-2.4.15_1 to py27-ldap2-2.4.18
Upgrade of subversion-1.8.9 to subversion-1.8.10_3

I then installed php56-session, because some other link I can’t find said that, in a similar scenario, the PHP session library wasn’t installed by default. I did that as well, rebooted the jail, and I’m still getting the exact same error message.

A tangentially related issue I had that may still be relevant is that the first tutorial walked me through installing Apache 2.4, rather than 2.2. As a result of this, Webmin took a little coaxing to get to play nicely with Apache since it was looking in all the ‘apache22’ directories for things. I repointed it to the correct locations and it seems to be happier now, but it’s certainly possible that InvoicePlane is having similar issues.

I’d be interested in any information available, and am willing to provide any command outputs requested of me.

Thank you for considering this request.


Just found this in a forum with nearly the same issue:

The function hash_hmac didn’t seem to be enabled as a part of core PHP 5.3.3_2
Installing the php5-hash-5.3.3_2 port resolved the issue.