Which version should I use?

I’m interested in IP for a client who has been using an old invoicing program for 20 years and is forced to switch at this point. IP seems to fit the bill nicely and I can even import information from the old dbase files via csv. I’ve read a lot on this forum indicating that IP is somewhat in a state of flux, with the v2 project going through a complete rewrite and there is a beta version 1.6.1-beta-2 along with a stable v1.6.0.

My question is, if you were just starting out and want to keep IP long-term, which version would you use? Is the beta stable enough or would you stick to 1.6.0? I’m assuming v2 is way to early. Which is likely to upgrade the best when a new version comes out? Thanks for any help.

Hi there, welcome.
Version 1.6.1 beta-3 is coming out really soon.

After version 1.6.1 (final) gets released, that one will be the best version.

Until then it will be 1.6.0, since you’re probably going to run it in production for your client.

You’ll run into an issue with the logo not being shown on the PDF.
After that one is fixed, just wait for the 1.6.1 version.

Beta-3 is just to look around locally and maybe help test it?

Version 2, yep, complete rewrite and the goal is to have a migration path from v1 to v2.
It will take a while.

Thanks a lot for your prompt help on that. Does IP tend to be well behaved during upgrades? I’ve had a bad time with another very popular open source project when upgrading. Thanks again.

Does IP tend to be well behaved during upgrades

I’m going to be honest. We’ve only upgraded from 1.5.x to 1.6 and that gave problems with that pesky ipconfig.php file. Luckily we solved that problem quickly.
The database upgrade went fine.

Now, the real upgrade, from 1.6 to 2, we’re actually making version 2 with those upgrade problems you mentioned in mind.

So we’re doing everything we can to prevent real upgrade problems.

By the time version 2 will be ready i’ll invite you to do a couple of test-runs with version 2, ok?

Sounds good to me. I won’t hold you to it, but are we talking months or years for v2?

Heheh, good question.
You know how it goes with new software, right?

We’re talking months.