Trouble with sending emails with Gmail SMTP

Hi Guys,

I am trying to setup gmail using the guide here: How to configure Invoice Plane for in-app invoice mailing | TechRepublic

I did everything including getting an app password from gmail, however when I go to send an email, I get an error and InvoicePlane locks up, and I have to restart the containers …

Anyone have some guidence?

PS: If someone can tell me where the logs are, I will post what they say …

Great question

If someone can tell me where the logs are, I will post what they say

The logs are located in:
application/logs

Maybe obvious, but please don’t post sensitive information, like the location of your files.
Let’s say the log said:
"Error in /home/underdog/sites/invoicing/invoiceplane/application/modules/invoices/invoicecontroller.php, just replace the sensitive part :grinning:

@UnderDog Can you be more specific with the location of the log files.?

I am running this in a container(s), what logs do I look for ?

The only ones I see are in the db …i.e

ls ..../invoiceplane-db/mariadb/data/
aria_log.00000001   ibdata1             ipdevdb/            mysql_upgrade_info  
aria_log_control    ib_logfile0         multi-master.info   performance_schema/ 
ib_buffer_pool      ib_logfile1         mysql/              test/

Ahh, never mind I see where … in the source tree…
The errors I am getting are:

ERROR - 2023-07-20 02:03:18 --> Could not find the language line "no_update_invoice_due_date_mail"
ERROR - 2023-07-20 02:03:18 --> Could not find the language line "no_update_invoice_due_date_mail"
ERROR - 2023-07-20 02:03:18 --> Could not find the language line "online_payment_apiKeyPublic"
ERROR - 2023-07-20 02:03:18 --> Could not find the language line "online_payment_apiKeyPublic"
ERROR - 2023-07-20 02:18:59 --> Could not find the language line "no_update_invoice_due_date_mail"
ERROR - 2023-07-20 02:18:59 --> Could not find the language line "no_update_invoice_due_date_mail"
ERROR - 2023-07-20 02:18:59 --> Could not find the language line "online_payment_apiKeyPublic"
ERROR - 2023-07-20 02:18:59 --> Could not find the language line "online_payment_apiKeyPublic"

1 Like

So … forget about the files in ..../invoiceplane-db/mariadb/data/, they belong to your database

Tell exactly which steps you took to send that email.
You can PM me the screenshot of your error message, since that will contain the url of your website and that’s not interesting to the rest of the world.

The nginx logs are interesting, but not crucial to the problem. They’re located similar spot as your database: - nginx_logs:/var/log/nginx

Thanks,

The steps I took to send email: (just to test settings)

1. Created dummy customer
  2. Created quote to that customer
  3. with the quote on screen, went to options/Send Mail

That’s when it crashed. Here is the screenshot …

The error message means nothing, not very informative …

1 Like

@UnderDog Any other suggestions? Do I have to have any ports open on my router for TLS for example …

I just need to reproduce this. It will probably happen this weekend.

The error comes from the translation file and it’s the label 'loading_error' and that comes from the view application/modules/layout/views/includes/fullpage-loader.php

Most likely the error is in the console of Google Chrome or in the Network tab. It would be helpful to see that as well (until i have time to take a look this weekend)

No Problem, will wait till then …

1 Like

@bmentink I followed the guide you mentioned and the SMTP server of Gmail has changed.
Could you try with different SMTP server? It should be smtp.gmail.com

First try that and let me know please

Settings:

Quote page:

Email Sent:

Yay, using smtp.gmail.com worked … many thanks for picking that up.
:slight_smile: :grinning:

1 Like