Session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module when about to install InvoicePlane 1.6 on local system

Hi all,

I am getting below error when I attempt to install InvoicePlane locally on XAMPP (latest version running 8.1 PHP). I went through the installation steps from A to Z and I cannot seem to find the issue. I have to admit the instructions in the wiki about ‘Run InvoicePlane in a sub directory’ was a little cryptic as the content of the file .htaccess does not look 100% alike what is in the wiki, so maybe that is what causes me issues? My directory (sub-directory) is http://localhost/invoices_v2

I’ve been running the 1.5.11 version for a while and wanted to do a fresh installation before I attempt to update my current invoicing platform.

A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Warning

Message: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: /var/folders/87/99j1ktt50l7101yfhk36_bx00000gn/T)

Filename: Session/Session.php

Line Number: 137

Backtrace:

File: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/Invoices_V2/application/third_party/MX/Loader.php
Line: 216
Function: _ci_load_library

File: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/Invoices_V2/application/modules/setup/controllers/Setup.php
Line: 34
Function: library

File: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/invoices_v2/index.php
Line: 329
Function: require_once

I had to look 3 times, but you’re working on a Mac. That’s interesting.

it’s probably because the cache directory doesn’t have the right permissions. Make sure it is writable.

Here is an entire checklist of someone who had similar problems on a Mac The checklist of things to check when your CodeIgniter 4 web application is not working

It’s related to CodeIgniter 4, but it’s similar for InvoicePlane: InvoicePlane has a ‘cache’ directory and the system cannot write to it. Therefore it cannot start the session.

This is the reason why we use docker: just to avoid these issues on local systems.

Thanks UnderDog. I’ll have a look at the cache directory (if I can find it lol). Any idea if there’s a v1.6 docker installation guide out already? I’m pretty new to all this.

There is no Docker guide. If you’re in the InvoicePlane directory and if you’ve installed Docker, you can run docker-compose up -d, that should give you everything you need.